Every day, we take a bath. Why? To remove dirt that we may have accumulated during the day, sweat, and the accompanying odor. It's a necessary ritual. Our hair is not exempted from this ritual. It should be washed regularly.
Why You Should Wash Your Hair
Here are a few reasons why you should wash your hair.
- Our scalp produces oils. Over time, these oils accumulate and, if not removed, could clog our pores and cause dandruff.
- Products that we use on our hair will eventually build up and, rather than nourish the hair as intended, they may begin to weigh it down.
- Washing your hair gives it an opportunity to breathe. When you want to apply make-up, you wipe your face down first, right? This provides a clean base for the make-up to settle on, and the outcome is usually beautiful. The same applies to your hair. Your hair will more easily absorb the nutrients in products when it's clean.
How Often You Should Wash Your Hair
The decision about how often you should wash your hair ultimately rests with you. There are a few things you should note. As much as you'd want our hair to be clean and smell nice, you don't want to overdo it. Washing your hair every day can strip your hair of its natural oils and leave it very dry. On the other hand, leaving your hair for days without washing can result in hair that is limp and unreceptive to products.
Your regimen should also inform your decision. For instance, if you're usually heavy-handed with products, the possibility of build-up is higher so you will have to wash your hair more often. Generally, your hair should be washed every 7-10 days to keep it clean and healthy.
How to Wash Your Curly Hair
Washing your hair is essential. What's even more important is how you wash your hair. If you don't use the right technique, you could end up causing more damage to your hair and scalp. Follow these steps to wash your hair properly.
- Start with a pre-poo treatment. Apply oil to your hair and allow it to sit for some time before washing. This protects the hair from completely losing all its oils during washing. For this step, we recommend the Mane Bliss Sealing Hair Oil.
- Choose an appropriate shampoo. A mild Sulfate-Free shampoo will sufficiently wipe your hair of dirt. But for a more thorough cleaning, you should use a clarifying shampoo. The latter should be used at least once a month to clarify your hair and scalp.
- Wash your hair in sections. This way you can give more attention to each section. Plus, it reduces tangles.
- Scrub the hair and scalp gently, not vigorously. This is probably the most important step. Use the base of your fingers, not your fingernails, to gently massage your scalp and hair until the shampoo has lathered well. Then rinse with warm water.
- Apply a moisturizing conditioner. Gently detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb. Rinse and dry your hair with a microfiber towel.
Washing your hair regularly can help improve the moisture levels of your hair, and encourage hair growth with reduced breakage and/or shedding.
Happy Wash Day !